Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Review: Allegiant by Veronia Roth

Allegiant

Series: Divergent #3

Author: Veronica Roth

Synopsis

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

Review

I went into this book very, very, very apprehensively. Since it took me a little while to get my hand on the book, I had already heard some of the buzz around it, and a lot of people were very unhappy with the ending of the book. I loved the first one so much, the second one a little less than the first, so I was afraid I would all together hate the third installment. As it is, though, I don’t. And I am glad that I didn’t end up hating it. It would have been a devastating end to a great trilogy.

Insurgent ended with a big revelation that I don’t think anyone in world saw coming. It definitely knocked me for a loop. The worst part about it was that we had to wait for another book to come out to explain it. Tris, Tobias, and the rest of their Divergent (and non-divergent) friends come to find out that the world is not what they had been led to believe. They had been deceived for generations with no knowledge of how the world really worked. I was really unsure of how I felt about it because I was getting a little tire of Roth’s “here’s how the world is, no wait, here’s how thing really are…wait…wait..wait, just kidding. Now, let’s change things one last time.” It was a little unsettling to feel like I never knew what was really real.

The third and final installment had a lot to live up to. In the last book, the readers always want everything wrapped up nicely. We want to know what happened to every single character and what is coming next for them and their world. Roth did a good job doing so.

There were some tragically sad moments that left me clutching tissues and screaming at the universe for letting it happen (Maybe cursing Roth just a little, but it’s the mark of a good author), but there were some wonderfully wonderful moments in there too. Roth had a good balance in this installment. I will say, I wish there was a little more, because I always want a clearer ending – and a little more about the characters’ lives after.

I would definitely suggest it to anyone looking for a good read – as long as they read the first two first. (:

Rating

 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment